Sunday, June 17, 2012

Thinking of Dad


As a child growing up I followed my Dad around a lot....... He had a small country store and I was there every day. The store was the hang out for our neighborhood......... Farmers would gather to play checkers and shoot the breeze as they use to say........In the summer all the young people gathered on the front porch with our cokes and peanuts or a candy bar....... As we got older he would leave my sister and I in charge if he had to go to the house or work on our small farm which was behind the store....... I guess that is the reason I've always loved retail.


Later Dad had a family clothing store...... He and Mom both work at the store....... When they retired I had my quilt shop so they would come and help me do inventory or take care of everything when I went to market or set-up my booth at the many quilt shows........


  Can you guess what these are?   He liked to whittle and made the little pressing tools for me to sell in the shop........




     He would make these walking sticks and I sold a few of those especially when he was at the shop telling people about how he got the marbles in the holes..........


He was a great Dad and I miss our times together.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet relationship you had with your dad Jenny! What a blessing! I know you treasure that and hold those memories dear.

    By the way - how DID he get the marbles in those holes? :*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would get the holes ready then he would soak the cane overnight, the marble would then slide into the hole. When they dried the wood was tight around the marbles.

      Delete