Monday, January 30, 2012

Vintage Paper Piecing

As I was going through a box of my Mom's scrap fabrics today I came across 30 paper pieced blocks. They were pieced in the fifties. She used newspapers for her pattern and then sewed fabric scraps to the paper until the pattern was covered. She then trimmed the fabric to the paper pattern.
I had a dress out of the fabric with the triangles...........I also have some of the same blocks pieced that I did in the 50's when she, my Grandmother and Aunt were each piecing this pattern. I pieced my first quilt when I was 13 or 14 and they quilted it for me.

My Mother called this the Snowball quilt when it was set together with white or muslin centers. My Grandmother set hers together with yellow centers and she called it the Sunball quilt. I have the quilt that she did with the yellow centers.

See the advertisement at right Goodlettsville- At Solitude Farm apartment for rent. I was amazed when I saw this. I lived about a mile from this farm for 25 years. My youngest daughter's best friends family owns this. Small world.!!!!!!!!



See the paper in the bottom picture.......You could buy
a 1953 Mercury for $595.00.......A 1952 Ford for $425.00.......


       I guess I need to prowl around in my stuff and find my Snowball blocks and put them with Mom's. I would never piece them together, too much fun reading the paper on back.

        I treasure my Mom and Grandmother for teaching me hand work at an early age. We lived close to my Grandmother and Aunt. They were always at the house together, cooking, piecing, crocheting or whatever needed doing. They helped each other, it might be at our house one day, my Aunt's another day or my Grand parents home. When the men came home, we would all eat together before everyone went to their own home.  Great memories.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - those are some great memories! Made me remember similar times with my mom, grandmother and aunt.... hadn't gone there in a long time. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete